Wednesday, September 28, 2022

School of the Young and the Home for the Sick

 

During one of my animations in an elite city school, I took off an hour to visit a nearby house of the MC Brothers (Missionaries of Charity) for the differently abled men, most of whom are mentally retarded, others sick who need daily nursing and assistance. One MC Brother whom I knew from the seminary days, took me around to show their boarding. At seeing me, most of them rushed to wish me, held my hand (against my unwillingness!) and expressed their sentiments. Some had something to tell me, with their muttering words. Unlike the MC Brother, I tried to shrug myself from their close proximity.

They have a small dispensary, which is crucial to the physical healing and treatment of the 45 inmates. One of them, lying down in bed, expresses to me that he is not well, and needs rest. Once he feels comfortable, he would join the rest for the outdoor recreation in the courtyard. Another boy came to me limping. He extended his hand to hold my hand. He held on and I reluctantly held for a while. Seeing so many differently abled elderly persons I thought of their common cause: all had one or other physical ailment. I focused my thought on what bothers most in the poor society - concrete issues and problems of today, namely, health crises, hunger, violence, social inequality, migration, political crises, ethics and social issues. Brother Mariadas brought to my attention of the many years that these ‘adult boys’ faced fierce problems and abuses in life,  that marred their memories – a result of  marginalization, exploitation, and being despised. And here are six MC Brothers taking care of them with compassion and love.

 

I began to be aware the daily challenges they face, being stigmatized as they carry their ‘diseases’ for life. An experience of encounter with these ‘differently abled persons’, change my perceptions and attitudes, and generate greater understanding their daily struggle and the need for assistance to help these suffering persons,  and the MC members, dedicated to care for them. How can the middle-class students of a school where I went to animate, can make  efforts on giving special emphasis on how to support and show solidarity with these ‘broken’ brothers, visiting them, cleaning their wounds, serving food to them, make  available  their resources and assistance? According to the WHO study, 55 million people live with dementia worldwide. These members whom I had met, are part of this number. Most of them have forgotten memories - most common type of dementia.

 

Each of these members needs special attention. All 56 persons are with mental and physical disabilities. They need constant help, night and day. They are called boys although they are between 20 and 70. They have not grown mentally. Some are on wheelchairs and unable to do anything by themselves. Brother told me that they take only mentally challenged and handicapped persons. Often they are abandoned by relatives who found it difficult to take care of them. They are given here a home and treat them as part of a family. Besides this work, the MCs give food, medicines and other materials to poor people around. They look after those rejected by society. The house makes the ‘boys’ part of a family. This is what differentiates the house from other charitable and religious institutions. This ‘home’ of Charity is a living example of God's universal love, that provides neighbors an opportunity to practice works of mercy. Taking care of these boys becomes a Christian mission.

 

For the principal, teachers and students of the elite school I spoke about, can be a learning experience. The children can be taught to be sensitive to these boys through occasional encounters with them, organizing moments of entertainment, service and sharing. They can give joy to all these persons. That is their gift to them.

 

How then, can we all be open to the elderly, differently abled, and be close to the poor, and teach the same to our children ?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

AN OPEN LETTER TO SMT. MAMATA BANERJEE The Chief Minister, cum the Health and Police Minister of W. Bengal

Smt. Mamata,   In an earlier open letter, I congratulated you for taking oath for the past consecutive terms as the Chief Minister of B...